- 3E Plus Software : https://insulationinstitute.org/tools-resources/free-3e-plus/
- HTRI Tutorial : Solving a Design problem for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger in HTRI Software
- Experimental Investigation of a Double Pipe Heat Exchanger
How to select right fluid for shell and tube side:
Hairpin Heat Exchanger : A hairpin heat exchanger is a single-pass shell-and-tube unit that has been folded in half to give it a hairpin appearance. Advantages : It allows removable tube bundle, accommodate thermal expansion without requiring expansion or packed joints, high pressure closures for pressures up to 10,000 psi, because of U-tube construction expensive joints are not required.
Frictional Pressure Drop : Pressure Drop is the difference of total pressure between two points in pipe network. For the fluids circulating in the tube side of a heat exchanger pressure drop consists of – (i) The pressure drop along the tubes (ii) The pressure drop owing to the change in direction in the exchanger heads ( in the multipass heat exchanger). High flow velocities can create higher pressure drops across a pipe system.
Shell Side Pressure Drop = pressure drop in the cross flow section +pressure drop in an end cross flow section +pressure drop in a window section+pressure drop in both inlet and outlet heat exchanger nozzles . Note that, Pressure drop in shell side becomes complex due to Leakage stream which can modify the main stream of shell side.
References & Resources :
- Design and Optimization of Thermal Systems By Yogesh Jaluria
- Edward S. Gaddis, Volker Gnielinski ; Pressure drop on the shell side of shell-and-tube heat exchangers with segmental baffles
- Brogan, R.J.; SHELL AND TUBE HEAT EXCHANGERS ;DOI: 10.1615/AtoZ.s.shell_and-tube_heat_exchangers
- Why to Consider Using a Hairpin Heat Exchanger
- How to select right fluid for shell and tube side
- UMAKANTA B, C.N NATARAJ, STUDY ON INDUCED DRAFT COOLING TOWER PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS IN CAPTIVE POWER PLANT